List Of Who To Inform When Someone Dies

Government Organisations

You can usually use the government Tell Us Once service to report a death to most government organisations in one go. If this doesn’t work here’s a list of the most common ones:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with income tax and cancel benefits
  • National Insurance Contributions Office – to cancel payments if they were self-employed
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support and state pensions
  • Child Benefit Office
  • UK Passport Agency - to cancel/return a passport
  • The local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax, a parking permit or Blue Badge permit, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence, cancel car tax, return car registration documents and/or change ownership.

Personal Contacts

  • Relatives and friends
  • Employer
  • School
  • Church or regular place of worship
  • Social groups to which the deceased belonged
  • GP Doctor
  • Dentist


  • Solicitor/accountant
  • Landlord or Local Authority – if property was rented
  • Any private organisation/agency providing home help
  • General insurance companies - contents, car, travel, medical etc
  • Pension providers/life insurance companies
  • Bank/building society
  • Mortgage provider
  • Hire purchase or loan companies
  • Credit card providers/store cards
  • Utility companies - if accounts were in the deceased's name
  • TV/Internet companies - if the deceased had subscriptions
  • Any other company with which the deceased may have had rental, hire purchase or loan agreements
  • Debtors - anyone that owed the deceased money
  • Creditors - anyone the deceased owed money to


  • Royal Mail – for redirection of mail
  • The Bereavement Register
  • Deceased Preference Service - will remove the deceased's name from mailing lists and databases
  • Clubs, trade unions and associations

For help with Probate call us on 01935 823883