Highways Claim

We're Here To Help With Your Highways Injury Claims

If you have had an accident as a result of a road or pavement not being maintained properly, it is possible to make a personal injury claim either through the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB), or the body responsible for roads or pavements. However, Highway claims can be the most difficult to deal with, as liability can be extremely difficult to prove, so that’s why it’s vital to choose a solicitor who knows what they’re doing. In the UK there are several bodies who have a statutory duty to maintain and keep safe our public Highways, roads, pavements and footpaths, namely the Highways agency, Highway authorities (usually county councils), District and sometimes even Parish councils. However, the Highways Act 1980 also gives these bodies a defence to claims, so it generally comes down to making sure the evidence of proof is strongly in your favour. These cases usually need persistence and patience and fortunately we have those in abundance!

Make A Free Enquiry

We are here to help you. To make a free, no obligation enquiry please call us on 01935 823883 or complete a Free Online Enquiry and we will soon be in touch with you.

We can help. Call us on 01935 823883

Understanding Highways Personal Injury Claims

How much compensation will I receive?

For every highways accident claim, we strive to maximise the damages we recover for you, which include not only damages for your personal injury, but any medical costs , loss of earnings and pension, loss of possessions such as clothes, and sometimes future care costs. In some circumstances we will also be able to gain you payments on account to tide you over until you receive you total compensation.

How will my legal costs be paid?

We deal with Highways compensation claims under a Conditional Fee Agreement, which is sometimes referred to as a “no win no fee agreement”. If you have any Legal Expenses Insurance (LEI) through home insurance, this may indemnify you against any costs. It is even possible in many instances to gain After The Event (ATE) insurance if required.

How long after my accident can I claim?

In most cases you can only pursue a personal injury claim within 3 years of the accident or from the time you realised you had sustained injuries from the accident. In reality this means you must have “issued proceedings” with the court within 3 years to be allowed to pursue your claim. For Under 18’s who have suffered an injury, it must be done within 3 years of their 18th birthday. Only in exceptional circumstances can this time limitation be lifted and we would advise talking to us if this applies to you.

How long will my Highways accident claim take?

For accidents occurring after the 31st July 2013, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has introduced a streamlined claim process. This means a straightforward accident claim going through this process should reach settlement in about nine months. However, many claims fall out of this process, due to their complexity or perhaps the authority responsible for the accident area denying liability for the accident and this can extend the time needed to reach an agreeable settlement. For more information on what happens during a highways accident claim, please see our Personal Injury Claims Process

How can I make a Highways accident claim?

The first thing to do is contact us, so we can talk to you about your accident and help you decide what your next steps are. There is absolutely no obligation to use us, but we find most people like our honest, friendly and straight forward approach. You will always deal with the same solicitor who has many years experience dealing in this type of law. They will be there to hold your hand every step of the way, having your best interests at heart and ensuring you get the compensation you deserve. Don’t put it off, call us today and put your mind at rest.

Changing Solicitors

Many people don’t realise you can choose the solicitor you want to deal with your personal injury claim. Often when you have had an accident, your insurance company will allocate a solicitor to your case. Sometimes you might not get the level of service that is warranted and this is generally because a legal executive is dealing with your claim rather than an experienced solicitor. As most cases are covered by Legal Expenses Insurance, your case can be dealt with by any solicitor you choose. If you don’t think you are receiving the level of communication, service or advice you would like, then call us today so we can put your mind at rest. We will ask you some questions about your claim, to see if it is proceeding as it should, or whether perhaps you should think about changing solicitors, to someone with more specialist experience of road traffic personal injury claims.

How can Routh Clarke help you?

Choose a solicitor who knows how to get you the best compensation possible

The first thing to do is contact us, so we can talk to you about your accident and help you decide what your best way forward is. Nick Routh is a keen motorist, biker, cyclist and runner and is on the road everyday, using at least one of these modes of transport. He has driven/ridden in all weathers and on all terrains and has even been much closer to the underside of a London bus than he would have liked, or was healthy for him! He is also a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). So if you want someone to represent you, who knows what you and they are talking about and who can explain the legal process in a language you will understand, call Nick now for a no-obligation chat about your accident.

Call us today on 01935 823883 to hear how we can help best help you